Wednesday, August 8, 2012

The Violets Are Mine: Tales of an Unwanted Orphan


Author:  Lester Morris
Published Xlibris
Age Recommended:Adult
Rating: 5
Blog For: GMTA

Review:

"The Violets are Mine: Tale of an Unwanted Orphan" by Lester Morris was really
some read for me.  I thought about putting it down several times but since I
have never done that I pressed forward.  I will say this wasn't a pleasant read
but a interesting one of what Lester Morris endured in these horrible orphanages
and foster home in England during World War II (1940's).  I can only say how Lester came through this was only that there was a God out there for him!  I can't imagine being bounced from orphanage to foster home and back to an orphanage again and again and come out sane from all that Lester had to endure.  From all of these corporal punishments he had to endure......only  proving that there was a God out there protecting him. This is some abuse(beatings) I could not even imagine!

These characters..his foster mom(Mrs. Green)referred to as 'Teeth' was a
horrible person ...then there was his 'dad' that was truly 'cold hearted' and horrible landlords. However, Lester Morris did meet some good people such as Santa Claus during one Christmas,  one Christmas story that turned out a great one for Lester, having his brother Doug around for a period of time....later to learn he had two other brothers and even two sisters, then there was  Mrs. Woodley was definitely his 'Fairy Godmother to  Lester, his time in the Junior Leaders,  and there were some others.  Now, this will be the time that I will say
you must pick up this read "The Violets Are Mine" to get this who picture of
Lester Morris story.  It will truly be one you will not forget.

What was very appealing about this novel was that Lester Morris wrote this in a
conversational voice making it feel like  you were being talked to instead of
talked at.  This novel was a autobiography  presented as a memoir  and  Lester
Morris didn't even consider himself a victim. WoW!  I found that very surprising...and  good ... showing  much feeling and emotions that really presented some wonderful  dialogue to the reader. 

In this read you will find out what the 'green penny-farthing bike,' was and how  to get rid of warts.  Again I will say this is a novel you must read... I am not sure I can say I liked it but Mr. Lester Morris did a wonderful  job presenting his life which went through 'indignities, abuse, sexual touchings'  and I am sure I have left plenty others out.  I was left at saying one word....'WoW' and that will be The End of that. Oh, one more thing...I thought it was amazing out this author Lester Morris "never gave up on life,  and is still going strong"  with his life.   I did love what happened for Lester Morris in toward the end...being able to slide down that  banister... you must read to find out  just what that was about.

Even though "The Violet are Mine:  A Tale of an Unwanted Orphan" was a hard read for me...it was definitely a eye opener that what happened to these children in foster care and orphanages during WWII .. only hoping that this has stopped is all I can say.  This was a well written autobiography and I would recommend as a excellent good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Smoke N' Stroke: Four20 Bae Kindle Edition by Aja

 Book Excerpt: " Have you ever met a man who sets your soul on fire… and you also hate him? Yes, no, maybe? Well, for me, that man is Z...