Friday, August 12, 2016

The Daughter of Union County By: Francine Thomas Howard



Book Description....

"Fourteen years after the end of slavery, Lord Henry Hardin and his wife, Lady Bertha, enjoy an entitled life in Union County, Arkansas. Until he faces a devastating reality: Bertha is unable to bear children. If Henry doesn’t produce an heir, the American branch of his family name will die out. So Henry, desperate to preserve his aristocratic family lineage, does the unthinkable.

When Salome, a former slave and Henry’s mistress, gives birth to a white-skinned, blue-eyed daughter, Henry orders a reluctant Lady Bertha to claim the child as their own…allowing young Margaret to pass into the white world of privilege.

As Margaret grows older, unaware of her true parentage, devastating circumstances threaten to shroud her in pain and shame…but then, ultimately, in revelation. Despite rumors about Margaret’s true identity, Salome is determined to transform her daughter’s bitter past into her secure future while Henry goes to extraordinary lengths to protect his legacy. Spanning decades and generations, marked by tragedy and redemption, this unforgettable saga illuminates a family’s fight for their name, for survival, and for true freedom."


Title:  The Daughter of Union County
Author:  Francine Thomas Howard
Publisher:  Lake Union Publishing
Reviewed By:  Arlena Dean
Rating:  Four
Review:

"The Daughter of Union County" by Francine Thomas Howard

My Thoughts.....

I will start out saying this was definitely one of those novels that you will  either like or dislike.  Well, I am a little in between because the author does bring out a lot of what was going on during that time of slavery. This was a read of much greed, strange family that dealt with slavery, domestic abuse, fear, racism and what I found most interesting sometimes even love?  I still can't quite understand why I chose to read this novel other than the description of the read got my attention.  To say I liked this read, well I can't say that to be completely honest, however I did feel that this author gave it her all with her writing and to give the reader a HEA ending was somewhat indeed interesting to me.  I will say I am not interest in slavery but I just wanted to see how this author would lay it all out for the reader.  To say this was a enjoyable read where I couldn't put down would not be true for me.  However, being a book reviewer I always finish any book I pickup  to read.  This was definitely a very sad look at what has gone on in 'our world.'  I am glad this is a fiction read and not a true story.  My rating will be a 3.5 which equals out to a four because I did think this author did give the reader one very unforgettable read  about the 'reconstruction era of slavery and indentured servitude' that you will either choose to like or dislike.   It will be up to you the reader to decide for yourself.


I received the novel from NetGallery in return for my honest opinion.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Smoke N' Stroke: Four20 Bae Kindle Edition by Aja

 Book Excerpt: " Have you ever met a man who sets your soul on fire… and you also hate him? Yes, no, maybe? Well, for me, that man is Z...